Awesome Adventures in Girl Guides

Our first day in Halifax we spent exploring the harbour, watching the Busker Festival performances and taking a tour at the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21. Part of our tour at Pier 21 included a workshop on citizenship and the rights and responsibilities that come along with it. We had supper that night at a local restaurant called Darrell’s which is famous for its peanut butter hamburger. Our second day was spent in Lunenburg. We went deep sea fishing in the morning. We saw minke whales and river porpoises and caught codfish and herring. We didn’t keep them to eat but it was interesting to see the different colours that codfish can be, grey, red, and golden brown.  In the afternoon we explored the town of Lunenburg.  The next day we were back in Halifax.  We did a tour of the Museum of the Atlantic and a workshop about the Halifax Explosion of 1917.  In the afternoon we went out on a schooner and learned how to raise the sails like deckhands would do. We ate supper at a restaurant called the Bluenose II and then went back to the harbour to watch more of the Busker Festival and the fireworks that night.   

 Our next day was spent mud sliding and tidal bore rafting where the mouth of the Shubenacadie River meets the Bay of Fundy. It was absolutely amazing to ride on the incoming tide! Everyone fell asleep on the bus back to Halifax that day.

article continues below

 Our fifth day we went to the Halifax Public Gardens, toured the Citadel and did a Ghost Walk tour. While we were at the Citadel we watched the changing of the guard and saw the noon cannon being fired. The Ghost Walk tour didn’t start until 8:00 p.m., so we toured the harbour and watched more of the Busker Festival. The Ghost Walk started near the Citadel with the story of Halifax’s first murder. We stopped at several haunted locations and heard stories connected to the Halifax Club, the Halifax Explosion and the Titanic. The tour ended near the oldest cemetery in Halifax, which is right beside the courthouse. There we heard the story of the last public hanging that took place in Halifax in 1939. Our next day was spent near Dartmouth. We went to Fisherman’s Cove in the morning and then spent the afternoon at the Mic Mac Mall.

 On our seventh day we headed out to New Brunswick. We toured Hopewell Rocks and walked on the ocean floor.  It is an amazing view! In the afternoon we went to a water park called Magic Mountain and on the way back to our hotel in Moncton, we checked out Magnetic Hill. It is a cool illusion. It actually felt like the bus was being pulled backwards up the hill.   

 Our eighth day was spent in Prince Edward Island. We went to a town called Victoria by the Sea where we toured the harbour and the shops and spent an afternoon learning the process of making chocolate.  

 For our last day of touring we had to get up at 3:30 a.m. We got on the bus and went to Peggy’s Cove to see the sunrise. It is scary yet amazing to hear the sound waves make hitting the rocks in the dark. That night we had to pack up and get ready to come home.  It was an awesome adventure!  

 We are grateful to our local communities, Reston, Tilston, Sinclair and Pipestone, for supporting Girl Guide activities for the past 8 years.  If you are interested in becoming a leader or a girl member please contact Elana Wray for more information. 

© Reston Recorder